Monday, July 11, 2016

Chicken Dinner Mondays- Chicken Enchiladas with Cheesy Green Chili Sauce

Hubby actually calls these Chicken Encha'lisa's. 
I made this recipe up about 12 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter and had a craving for enchiladas, but I didn't want red sauce. When I couldn't really find enchiladas with a green sauce anywhere convenient, 
what I came up with is this cheesy encha'goodness'.



Yummy!
I'm happy to share this recipe!
Everytime I make this, it is a huge hit!
I serve these with my Easy Mexican Rice.
This bonus recipe is at the bottom of this post.

Mom's Bags of Tricks' Chicken Enchiladas with Cheesy Green Chili Sauce
Makes 8
Prep 30 min
Cooking time at 375 is 25-30 min

There are 3 steps to making the enchiladas.


Step 1: Prepare chicken

Boil 2 chicken breasts until 165 degrees. Let rest for 10 minutes.

                          
I do not shred my chicken. I pull it apart gently and slice against the grain. It makes the shreds a little more chunky, which I prefer. 

Chicken Mixture 
2 chicken breasts, boiled, pulled apart, and sliced 
Juice from 1 lime
salt, pepper,
1 tsp taco seasoning 

Set aside 

Step 2: Prepare cheese sauce 

Green chili cheese sauce 
2 tbsp butter 
1/2 onion, small diced
2 tbsp flour 
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 lg can green chilies 
2 cups shredded cheese. 

Melt butter, add onions and cook about 5 minutes, until soft.
Add flour and stir together to form a roux and cook a minute. 
Whisk in milk, 
Add salt and pepper
Cook about 10 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently until thick and bubbly.
Add green chilis
Stir in cheese 





Step 3: Assemble the enchiladas

Add about 1/2 cup of cheese sauce to the bottom of the pan. 
I use flour tortillas in my enchiladas. Im such a rule breaker! 
Add about 1/4 cup of chicken and 1/4 cup of cheese sauce to each tortilla and roll up. 
 Place in pan on top of cheese sauce.
Cover with remaining sauce. 
Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. 

                                  

Bake for about 25 minutes at 375 
and this is what will happen....
See all the cheesy, bubbly, yummy goodness that is here, in front of you? 



These are so good with this Mexican Rice side dish I created... 

Mom's Bags of Tricks' Easy Mexican Rice 

Prep time 10 minutes
Cooking time 25 on medium heat with the lid on
Don't open the lid or stir it!

2 tbsp butter 
1/2 onion, small diced
salt and pepper to taste 
1/2 cup salsa 
1 tsp chicken base 
2 cups water 
1 1/4 cup long grain white rice 





In a large skillet or sauce pan, melt  butter
Add onion and cook about 5 minutes, until soft. 
Add rice and stir

In a large glass measuring cup, add the salsa and chicken base. 
Add enough water to fill 2 1/2 cups and stir 


Add water/salsa mixture to rice and stir 
Bring to a boil over medium high heat 


Cover and reduce heat to medium. 
Cook 25 minutes. 
Let sit 5 minutes and fluff with a fork. 

Served together, this is a great meal for Chicken Dinner Mondays!



Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment