Sunday, June 26, 2016

Broccoli salad


Broccoli salad is something I grew up on. My mom started making it when I was a teenager and still makes it several times a year. I have no idea where the recipe came from but I know it by heart   I have probably made this myself at least 75 times in the last 20 years. It goes great with burgers, hot dogs, and fried chicken. I bring it camping quite a lot and either my mom or I will make this for get togethers. It is perfect for potlucks and always goes fast.
This salad is very easy to make and only takes 7 ingredients. The sauce is pretty much a cole slaw type dressing. It can be made ahead of time, which I really like. It gives the ingredients time to meld together and tastes amazing either later in the day or the next day. It keeps in the fridge several days but never lasts that long in my house. The bacon is what makes this extra yummy. I use thick cut bacon and slice it into big chunks.
I dont know who came up with this recipe but whoever did really thunk up a winner here. Normally I never follow a recipe unless I'm baking but I haven't changed this recipe at all. I tried it once without bacon and its not the same. I also tried it with adding chicken and that is good for a lunch. But this recipe is delicious all by its self.

Broccoli Salad 


For the salad: 
1 tub broccoli or a few heads fresh broccoli (about 3 cups washed and trimmed)
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion in one inch slices 
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
6 strips thick sliced bacon, cooked until crisp and cut into 1/4 inch chunks 

For the sauce: 
1 cup mayonnaise 
1/3 cup sugar 
1/4 cup white vinegar 

Put the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together the sauce ingredients, Pour sauce over salad and mix well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 5 days. 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment