Wednesday, June 22, 2016

DIY Pennant Banner

This banner is easy to make, can be customized to fit any theme, and looks great while hanging. It can be used for a birthday or other party. We are bringing ours camping and it will add some pizzazz to our campsite hung from the canopy just like this. I made it durable and water resistant by laminating each triangle. 



To make your own pennant banner, follow these easy steps:

1. Pick your theme and paper. I went with a victorian flower theme. I made this banner for my mother's 60th birthday party. She loved the paper choices and the different patterns really look great together. I chose 12x12 scrapbooking paper that came in a themed pack. But the triangles are 8x8 so it was kind of wasteful. I have a lot of left over paper scraps that I need to think of ways to use. Anyway, I used 20 sheets of paper. On some of the designs, I used 2 sheets of the same paper. I did 4 different doubles so each side of the canopy had 2 matching triangles. Then I chose the rest of the paper to match the sets I had just chosen. I measured I would need 5 triangles on each side for a total of 20. 


8 1/2 by 11 can also be used, or used in addition to the scrap book paper. It can also be used to add to the back of the triangle for more color so it isn't just plain white on the back. 


I plan to make another banner using these folders. I love the prints. These are 8 1/2 by 11 but because they have indents, I will need to recalculate the size. 

2. Make your template. This can be done by grabbing a template for 8 inch triangle on line. But, my way is just as fast. Because this is about 8 inches at the top, I simply used a regular piece of               8 1/2 x11 card stock. 
Some other supplies you will need: 

For now you only need the scissors and pen. I folded the paper in half the long way and used a straight edge to draw lines from the top outer corner to the bottom on the fold. Then I cut out the template. 




3. Trace all your triangles and cut them out. I was able to cut several at a time, repeating about 7 times. 

4. Laminate all triangles and cut them out. If you don't have a laminator or do not want to laminate your banner, skip this step. I did laminate mine and left it hanging at my mom's house all night. It didn't rain, but still the morning dew did not affect it at all. It still looks perfect. 


5. Punch holes in the top, one on each side. 
6. Choose the order of your pennants (5 on each side of the canopy) and lay them all in a pile in correct order. 
7. Choose your twine (you will need about 50 feet altogether). This works best if you do not cut the twine. I kept it on the roll and started feeding the twine through both holes. I did it so the twice shows on the outside and feeds from the back. It lays better this way. 




In the picture here, the end of the twine, should actually have the spool still attached. (I forgot to take a picture of that so this is after I cut the twine off the spool) 

8. Once the twine is all fed through the holes, work five at a time to hang it on each side of the canopy. If you are laying it straight, 5 at a time is still a good spot to hang. After it is hung, cut the twine off the spool and tie up to the canopy. 


9. To store it without tangling, as you remove it, lay them on top of each other with their faces touching. The twine will stay untangled and they will lay in a neat pile until your next use.





No comments:

Post a Comment